Tuesday, 30 September 2008

The Bear is Back!

I was the biggest ever Paddington Bear fan as a little girl. I begged my parents to buy me all of the paperback editions of his stories from the school book club, and I devoured them. I learnt a lot of very English phrases from Paddington - I have always been 'rather partial to a cup of cocoa and a sticky bun', and I can still remember wondering to myself what exactly it meant when Mr and Mrs Brown 'exchanged glances'.

I still have my book collection. And I was thrilled to see that the old 1970s/80s Paddington from the TV series (which was great) has made a comeback in the UK, to celebrate Paddington's 50th birthday.

I saw some great gifts and toys while I was over there, that I was secretly tempted to buy for myself. I think I will definitely get one of the mounted prints for my office, hee hee...

Michael Bond has also wrtten the first new Paddington book in many years, Paddington Here and Now.

And do look at this new TV ad for Marmite (disgusting Vegemite-like spread), it made me want to watch the original TV programmes all over again, maybe I will! Having said that, I don't believe that Paddington would EVER prefer Marmite to marmalade, and I understand that a lot of people, including Michael Bond himself, have been a little upset by Paddington's 'sell-out' (read here).


Were YOU a Paddington fan?

8 comments:

Kitschen Pink said...

Oh yes indeed I was and I am absolutely certain that no discerning bear from deepest darkest Peru would ever never ever eat Marmite! Yeuch! t.x

trashalou said...

Loved Paddington. I was given one of the toy paddingtons back in the day when he actually looked like 'Paddy Bear' rather than generic plush in a duffle coat.

Q.I. fact - Jeremy Clarkson's mum used to make the bears herself so he grew up in a house with bits of P.B. all around the place!


Word verif: ozupbd. Honestly!!

Lily and Agathe said...

Well I also love padders..when I was ten my dad got his first law degree and he said we each (brother and I) could choose a pressie. I found a tartan bear who did not resemble paddington bear in the slightest but I called him paddington.. I took him to boarding school with me and cried many a lonely tear into his dear head... are you sobbing yet ? He remains a loyal friend and sometimes when a grown woman fancies a cry she gets paddington out....now you must be sobbing ? it's all true....

teddybearswednesday said...

OH Yes I love Paddington, always have and still do!! But perhaps that's no surprise,Recently re read the books and can't wait to read the new one!And got the Tv series out on Dvd! YAY! I made a couple of Paddington's this year too, and did you see the gorgeous Paddington fabric at Clegs? YOu would love it. SO glad to find another Paddington fan!! And you should have bought those gifts for yourself!!!

Lisa Isaacs said...

Loved him! My kids listen to the stories on CD here in Israel so I wonder if they'll pick up some of the wonderful English expressions you've mentioned!!

Andrea said...

yes, I also loved Paddington, and found the tv show quite comforting as a child. I still have a colouring book from the late 70s I think. Would love that Paddington Clock

AnastasiaC said...

i was and still AM a huge fan!! a new book???...got to check it out!!

Hoochie Coochie said...

ooooh i loved Paddington as a little girl!! I have the very old books packed away, but we recently found a copy at our local library and I introduced it to my daughter for the first time! I love sharing these sorts of things with her with things that remind me of my childhood, thanks so much for reminding me of how great Paddington is!
xx Sharaine