Sunday, 14 December 2008

Hurrah for local shops!

It's been my aim this Christmas to do all of my shopping at small, independent stores, and I'm pleased to say that I am doing pretty well so far and haven't once resorted to the big stores or Amazon. I live in a region with lots of excellent food producers so we are giving lots of local foodie gifts. I also found lots of handmade gifts at Magnolia Square, and have managed to do quite a few freebie swaps with other makers.

Lark has always been a fan of local shops. I was delighted to read this article in the Daily Telegraph about how small shops are surviving in the UK despite the recession, while the big stores are floundering and resorting to heavy discounting. Thank you Miss Hope for sending me this cheery news!

2 comments:

AnastasiaC said...

im going to print and read - i think people are much more aware of what they are buying and supporting smaller business and handmade items seems to be the way to go!! Yeahhh!

Michelle said...

ooh those chocolates look delicious. It's wonderful to hear about so many supporting local stores. Always a much nicer shopping experience...