Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Sydney again

So we took the boys out of school for a few days and went to Sydney for a treat. It's the third time we have been this year, we love Sydney. Love the museums - at the Powerhouse I finally saw the 1980s are Back exhibition and also we spent ages at the BEST exhibition about Australian fashion week that even appealed to boys, and at the Museum of Sydney there is a great exhibition about how people made do in the recession of the 1930s called Skint. Love the warm weather (well it is warm if you're coming from Daylesford), love hanging out with our friends Diana and Mark and their kids who are like family really, love independent shops like My Messy Room and Papier D'Amour, love Kinokinuya bookshop, the sights, the food, love it! Back to boring school and work now, oh well! How is your week?









8 comments:

MonetPaisley said...

Love the powerhouse museum, haven't been in years, I remember a Chinese exhibition they had with examples of womens bound feet. Amazing. Looks like a great holiday :-)

sarah barnett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah barnett said...

So glad you love Sydney. You've reminded me it's time to be a tourist in my own town again. Now when are you going to open a shop here? :)

find....found....forage said...

thanks for those tips on the current exhibitions. must get our acts together and go for a squizz. x

madanddave said...

Do you know anything about the wallpaper in the picture with the stairs? It is very similar to these cot sheets my brother had in the early 80s and I love them! http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-a-d/4671136542/

My Messy Room said...

Im sorry i missed you instore last Tuesday. Thank you for popping in and mentioning us - we feel a little bit special! Rebecca said it was a lovely visit.

The wallpaper is by a designer named Graziela and is an original wallpaper from the 70's.

xx

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I enjoyed this post. When you live somewhere it's easy to forget the good things. I get so tired of the crowds and all the negative side of Sydney. We have just had a holiday in the Blue Mountains and I never wanted to come back. However, I do love the Opera House in Sydney and the fact you can go grocery shopping at 9pm at night if you wish. xx

scott davidson said...

Browsing the Net looking for a present for my wife for our wedding anniversary (which I nearly forgot), I came by chance upon this fantastic site called wahooart.com, based probably in Paris. Talk about the Louvre having a big collection of priceless masterpieces, this site has just about everything in Western art, but as digital files.
What they do is to make good reproduction prints from your choice of work from their archive. I know that the prints are good because I ordered online, a print that was on canvas, like a painting. I specified the size and even chose a frame at their site.
A bit awkward when the gift was delivered early to my door, luckily while my wife was not home. What did I choose? This glorious nude by the German artist George Grosz: http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LHV5V and it's hanging gloriously large above our bed head now. Risqué? Sure. But my wife and I love it.