Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Handmade Living Profile: Emma Kidson

The final designer I have chosen to profile for the Handmade Living blog tour is Emma Kidson of Kidson Jewellery! How adorable are her cherry blossoms?

Name: Emma Kidson

Business: Kidson Jewellery

Location: Wagga Wagga weekdays and Canberra weekends!

When did you open ‘shop’? The Kidson Jewellery Studio opened in June 2008.

What is your business background? Bachelor of Arts (Jewellery) with Distinction, Charles Sturt University 2007.

What is the essence of your business? I create high quality, handcrafted, contemporary jewellery designs.

What is your secret to balancing business with family? Work becomes so consuming but it’s important to make time for each other, even if it’s as small a going out for one meal together each week. I am lucky enough to work from a studio in the same building as my husband, so even if I don’t make it home from work before he goes to bed, at least we can have a morning cuppa or lunch together.

What is your greatest business achievement? Winning the under 25 years category in the National Contemporary Jewellery Award in 2008 for my Origami Box Ring. And of course, being part of every Handmade event from our first market in November 2008 to the opening of the Shop in April 2010, and now inclusion in the book!

Name your favourite product. My blossom earrings. I am wearing them every day!

Why is handmade so important? It’s a vibe, a special type of positivity, a unique and individual process that begins with a spark. It’s having your own ideas lovingly crafted, piece by piece to produce an end result like nothing else in existence. It’s a connection between maker and object and between object and owner. It’s made with love, with passion, with flair. It’s HANDMADE!!

How did it feel being part of this amazing new craft book? I feel privileged to share something I love so much and am so passionate about, with a wider audience.

What five words best sum you up? Passionate, inspired, creative, artistic, original.

Where can we see more? Through selected shops and markets. See my website www.kidsonjewellery.com.au for more information.

4 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Love love love, i have a Kidson origami box ring, ahhhh, so gorgeous & right now i'm wearing some blossom earrings. I don't have to stalk Emma either, she comes to me here in Canberra, love her!! It's too tempting working at Shop Handmade with all her gorgeous jewellery in there, well done Emma, great interview Allison, love Posie

Gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian said...

One day a set of little flower rings will be mine.

I might have to buy them myself, but that's fine. I give the best birthday presents... especially when they are to me!

Pinecone Camp said...

Hello from Vancouver! I just came across your blog, through my search for all things David Bromley. We checked out A Day On Earth, last year and fell in love with it. We'll be back in Victoria for Christmas to spend time with my husband's family. I'm definitely going to check out your shop this time!!
I love the looks of Emma's jewelry - must check out more of her work too.
Have a good day!