Sunday, 29 January 2012

The City


We decided to spend the last weekend of the summer school holidays in the city. It was a perfect weekend, sunny and breezy.


Friday afternoon we loitered around Northcote, one of my favourite places for shopping and eating. At lunch in a cute café I spotted our Buffalo Bill Treasure Tin being used as a tip jar - ace!


In the evening we went to see Cinderella at Her Majesty's. In England it is a necessary part of Christmas to see a pantomime every year, so I couldn't resist taking the family to one, it was a fun night out. Some of the songs are still stuck in my head.


Saturday morning we spent at ACMI at an excellent exhibition about representations of Space in film and TV. It was very broad, featuring everything from Kubrick to Bowie to Tintin and Flight of the Conchords. Lunch at Fed Square, sitting on deckchairs, watching the tennis, was quite surreal.



In the afternoon we visited our old pals Nev and Naomi and their gorgeous family in Melbourne and the kids splashed about in the paddling pool happily while we chatted. Then in the evening we went to Abla's with some other dear friends, which was yummy as ever. I used to eat at Abla's all the time when I worked in Carlton in the 90s, it's always nice to go back for their home-cooked Lebanese goodness. Hurrah for the city! If only one could eat even half so well in Ballarat ... sigh.

Back home today, lots to prepare for going back to school this week. I hope you're having a lovely weekend!

4 comments:

Something Gorgeous said...

Its hard facing reality after a lovely break. Lets hope yours goes smoothly. x

Kaylovesvintage said...

sounds like a nice sunda
enjoy

Morgan Wills said...

Yes! I miss Melbourne food too!! xx

Renea Eliza said...

I always go to Palominos on high St whenever I'm in Old Melb town, good choice and stunning tip jar - they have great taste!